On February 16, 2010, our lives changed forever. We learned that John has advanced, stage 4, inoperable lung cancer. (He has never smoked a cigarette in his life.) It has spread to his spine, his pelvic bone, his adrenal glands, both eyes, and his brain. We were shocked when the oncologist gave us the prognosis: without treatment, the prognosis would be 1 month. With treatment, the median or average survival is 4 months. A really good prognosis, with treatment, is 12 months. He has seen some cases, however, where the patient has survived 3 years, and one has survived 7 years. The brain metastases are what make his prognosis so bad. We are hoping for a miracle, but we are going to accept the Lord's will in this matter. We have seen His hand in our lives, preparing us for all of this, and we are filled with gratitude for our many blessings. This is a blog to document our journey through this trial.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Blessings Amidst Trials

It's been a challenging two weeks, I'm sorry to say.  John's condition has really taken a nose dive since Christmas.  He began having balance problems and difficulty walking, and was admitted to the hospital on December 26th.  MRIs showed that the tumors were increasing in size slightly in his brain, but the main problem was that the pre-existing compression fracture in his spine had gotten worse now that the cancer is progressing.  The tumors were impinging on his spinal cord and interfering with the blood supply to his spinal cord.  In effect, it was as if he'd had a "stroke" to his spinal cord.  The deficits are permanent and not reversible.  In the hospital, he received I.V. steroids to attempt to shrink the tumors, and began 10 days of palliative radiation to his spine.

John was discharged from the hospital on December 30th with a walker, but his condition was deteriorating daily, and a physical therapist who came to our home on the 31st recommended a wheelchair.  I got him two wheelchairs that very day:  one that he could wheel around the house, and a lighter one for transport.  (At that point, I was still taking him to the hospital for daily radiation treatments.)

As the week went on, his legs became weaker and weaker as he lost strength and feeling in them.  Transferring him from wheelchair to bed, toilet, and car were dangerous and terrifying.  On Friday, January 4th, he was admitted to Agrace HospiceCare.  They have been wonderful, and will make it possible for John to remain at home, which is what we both want.  On Sunday, January 6th, a hospital bed was delivered to us, and he is now completely bed-bound.  He can no longer move his legs.

A great blessing is that he has very little pain!  He has yet to take anything stronger than Naproxen.  We are in good hands with Hospice.  We have nurses, friends, visitors, ward members, and relatives visiting in a steady stream, and begging to know how they can help.  It's such a blessing to have such a wonderful support system!  My heart aches for anyone who lacks this.  John still has a good appetite, and we're having fun, and enjoying our little grandchildren.  Our knowledge that we will be together forever warms our hearts and strengthens us.  We have complete and utter trust in Heavenly Father's will and in His plan for us.  We know we are in His hands.  We feel our Savior walking by our side.

7 comments:

  1. We love you both so much, Harveda. Thank you for taking the time to update those who love and think about you. Although I wish I could be reading other news, I am so strengthened by your testimony and faith. Please tell John we all love him and think about him often. We will keep you in our prayers every single day. Love, Jennifer, Dave, Lane, and Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I just realized my typo and then looked at your name to indeed confirm that I spelled your name wrong. I knew it didn't look right when I typed it! Sorry about that-- I know who you are, promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are all in our prayers. Thank you for your example of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. I suppose from the beginning we knew this was the direction that things were going to go, but that never makes it easy to experience or hear about. You are an amazing woman and we admire you both so much. Adam gave a talk in Sacrament meeting a couple of weeks ago and mention you guys as wonderful examples of 'hoping all things' and staying strong amid difficult trials. We love you and will pray for your strength to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear John and Harvada: You will always have our love and prayers with you. Your faithful attitudes are strengthening us all. Thank you for enriching our lives beyond measure. Love, Pam and Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your examples. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear John and Harvada,
    So sorry to hear of this sad news. We love you guys so much and you are an inspiration to all. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Miss you much, Patti & Andy

    ReplyDelete